Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sen. Manchin Stonewalls on Gun Control: 'Honey ... I'm Not Talking to You Anymore'



Senator Joe Manchin (D - WV) appears to have changed his tune on the second amendment. The Democratic Senator who received an "A" rating from the NRA appeared on MSNBC's Morning Joe on Monday to discuss the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

 


In the wake of the tragedy, Democrats are calling to pass the Assault Weapons Ban. When asked by Breitbart News, Manchin disagreed that his remarks on MSNBC show his stance on the second amendment have flipped. "I didn't change my mind on anything. I think everything is open for discussion." It should be noted that Manchin, also known for breaking campaign promises on tax hikes, may have a difficult time explaining his turnaround on guns to voters in his own state.  West Virginia, a state President Obama lost in 2008 and 2012, has one of the highest rate of gun ownership in the country: 55 percent own guns
“I just came with my family from deer hunting,” Manchin said on MSNBC. “I’ve never had more than three shells in a clip. Sometimes you don’t get more than one shot anyway at a deer. It’s common sense. It’s time to move beyond rhetoric. We need to sit down and have a common-sense discussion and move in a reasonable way.”



Mr. Manchin made no mention of specific restrictions like his fellow Democrats have, he only referred to gun use in terms of hunting and sport and not self-defense.



“I want to call all our friends in the NRA, sit down and have this discussion,” he said. “Bring them into it. They have to be at the table. We all have to,” Manchin explained.



He later added, “I don’t know anyone in the hunting or sporting arena that goes out with an assault rifle,” he said. “I don’t know anybody that needs 30 rounds in the clip to go hunting. I mean, these are things that need to be talked about.”



TRANSCRIPT:
BN: You said you would change your mind on gun control

MANCHIN: Honey, I didn’t change my mind on anything. I think
everything should be open for discussion.

BN: But apparently, in one of your campaign ads, it shows you holding a gun.

MANCHIN: Sure.

BN: In the same light you’ve sort of said that it’s time to change the
gun laws.

MANCHIN: I’ve never said that. Where are you getting this from?

BN: Okay, so what are you saying now these days?

MANCHIN: We’ll talk. I mean. You’re totally off base. You’re
misinformed and you’re off base. You know I’ll put a statement out and
you ought to read my statement. We’ll get you a statement. I’m not
gonna say a word, Okay? I’ll get you a statement.

BN: But it’s my understanding that…

MANCHIN: No it’s not. You’re totally misinformed and you’re out of touch.

BN: But do you think the gun laws should be changed.

MANCHIN: I think everything should be on the table.

BN: But do you think the gun laws should be changed?

MANCHIN: I think everything should be looked at. Everything needs to
be looked at.

BN: Everything needs to be changed then?

MANCHIN: No, honey, nothing.  I’m not talking to you anymore I can
tell where  you’re going.

No comments:

BLOG ARCHIVE